SEO basics: What SEO consists of?
What Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) includes
Here’s 5 simple areas what your SEO strategy can consist of
1. Identifying and targeting key search terms
First identify the most important search terms for your business or website. You can get started with these terms by just knowing your customers or which of your products or services sell best or checking your competition’s terms.
Research how often these terms are searched for and how hard is the competition for them. You can research this on many different SEO tools, f. ex. on Dashboa, Semrush or Ahrefs. Just type in the keyword and you’ll get a number of monthly searches on the chosen keyword. You can also check your competitions domains and which keywords they are ranking for. That way you don’t have to do everything from the beginning.
2. Optimizing website content for the chosen key terms
Target your key search terms through similar SEO keywords on your website and blog, as well as through paid advertising. You can do this by writing about these key topics. For example you can tell your target audience the key things about the keywords you’ve chosen and show your expertise. That way you can benefit the audience and build their trust in your skills. In our case we talk about f. ex. SEO.
1. Write content that is optimized for your target keywords.
2. Use keyword-rich titles and descriptions to help improve your website’s search engine ranking.
3. Research your keywords thoroughly to ensure that you are targeting the right audience. Buying intent is usually a key factor here. Ask yourself: “do the people searching for this keyword want to buy my services?”
4. Use alt tags to help slightly improve your website’s accessibility and search engine optimization.
5. Make sure your website’s design is user-friendly and easy to navigate.
6. Include calls to action (CTAs) on your website to encourage visitors to take the next step.
7. Use social media to promote your website and its content.
8. Regularly update your website’s content to keep it fresh and relevant.
9. Monitor your website’s analytics to see how visitors are interacting with your site and its content. This is important because f. ex. Google is highlighting the importance of unique value-giving content. Not just SEO-friendly jabbering but something that really engages the visitors. You can make unique content by researching your competition and avoiding similar content or just interview an expert that has interesting takes on the future of the field.
3. Building links to the website from other high-quality websites
This is time-consuming but shows search engines through the quality and amount of links that other sites trust you. Trust can be translated to site authority. The higher authority your site has the more your site is going to rise in the search engine ranks. Here’s the best practices on how to get links:
1. Make sure your website is high quality and informative. Think of how to help your visitors.
2. Find other websites in your industry or niche that have a high page rank and are popular in their field.
3. Reach out to these websites and offer to write a guest post or article for them.
4. In your guest post or article, include a link back to your website.
5. Make sure the link is relevant to the content of your article and is placed in a prominent location.
6. If you have a blog, reach out to other bloggers in your industry and offer to do a guest post swap.
7. Find forums related to your industry or niche and participate in the discussions, making sure to include a link back to your website in your signature line.
4. Monitoring website traffic and search engine rankings
Monitoring is major part of the process. It helps you decide what to prioritize. Get to know your target audience and what makes them tick by making a working funnel where the traffic you get converts to leads or purchases. Here’s different ways on how you can learn from them:
1. Use Google Analytics or similar tool to track website traffic and sources.
2. Use a tool like Dashboa or Moz to track keyword rankings.
3. Use social media and monitoring tools to boost the reach of your content and track engagement.
4. Use heat mapping tools (Screaming Frog, Hotjar) to see where users are clicking on your site.
5. A/B test different elements on your site to see what drives the most traffic and engagement.
5. Adjusting the SEO strategy as needed over time
Monitor your progress and trust the data. Adjust your strategy as needed to ensure that you’re getting the best traffic possible to your site. The best traffic doesn’t mean the most traffic. Best means the ones that benefit you and the ones you really want to get to your site. Buy-intent traffic is the one you should prioritize for. When you have the buy-intent down, you can focus on nurturing the ones who aren’t quite there yet.
1. Keep an eye on your analytics to see how your SEO strategy is performing. Make changes as needed to improve your results.
2. Regularly check in on your competition to see what they are doing with their SEO strategy. Adjust your own strategy accordingly to stay ahead of them.
3. Always be willing to experiment with new SEO tactics and strategies. You never know when you might stumble upon something that works really well for your business.
4. Keep up with the latest trends in SEO so that you can make sure you are using the most effective techniques.
5. Be patient! Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither is a successful SEO strategy. It takes time and effort to see results, so don’t give up too soon.
In the long run, choose the themes you want to be remembered for and what your brand should be connected to by your audience. The next time your audience thinks of those themes, they remember you.
Did you know?
This landing page was done in about 3 hours. From the planning to execution by using our own software and AI content generator. The article is not completely done with AI but AI saved a lot of time. Imagine being able to produce similar keyword targeted contents twice or thrice a day.
Next, we will monitor how this article manages to climb the rankings and edit it while comparing it to our competitors’ pages (of course while using Dashboa). If you managed to find this, it seems our system is working. Maybe worth a trial?
Start your free trial now!
Improve your SEO, keyword research and Google Ads in minutes.
✔ Free account
✔ No credit card required
✔ No commitment
✔ Improve your website in minutes
"With Dashboa, we have been able to improve the efficiency and planned management of our content production. The Dashboa operating system has been quite pleasant and intuitive to use, and updates to the software have added useful features and improved the usability of the software."
-Olli Avikainen / Keskisen Kello Oy